Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Skin is the LARGEST organ in the body....what you put on it will be absorbed!

The long term debate....is what we put onto our skin going to effect us?  Here is my opinion on this topic.  I am not a doctor, this is just my view on this topic.

Skin is the largest organ of the human body!  So, why wouldn't you want to be attentive to the ingredients of the the items you place on your skin?  This goes for everything that you place on your skin: make-up, lotions, soaps, antiperspirants, perfumes, hair care, sun care, insect repellent, and even medical creams.  If you are placing something on your skin, the largest organ of your body, why wouldn't you want to be cognitive of what ingredients will enter into your body.

Let's think about this for a minute. There are LOTS of drugs that come in a "patch" form.  How do they work?  You place a patch on your skin and then it is absorbed, through your skin.  They are proven to work by scientists and approved by the medical industry.  So, people can sit and tell me that a patch that I place on my skin will work but that the make-up that sits on my face, the deodorant I apply (that lasts all day), the cream that I spread on my legs...those items won't be absorbed?  It can't be both.  Why did scientists develop the "patch" systems?  Because they know that the skin is an active organ that they can use.  They know that it will absorb the medications. So, right there....you should know that your skin can and will absorb what is placed onto it.

If you do a little research, you will find that there are many studies that have been done that have found that our bodies do absorb topical products placed on the skin or that it comes into contact with. Many studies claim that 60% of these topical products are absorbed directly into the bloodstream.  

Something to think about the next time you reach for something that you will be placing on your skin.  And, did you know that some of the ingredients in some sunscreen brands are also the same ingredients listed as possible links to cancer?  That is ironic!  Hey, I think I will error on the safe side and pick natural products, with ingredients that are natural and safe.  But, you decide for yourself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment